Greenhouse Gas Emissions
Reporting for Calendar Year 2017
The Greenhouse Gas (GHG) Protocol categorizes a company's GHG emissions as one of three "Scopes". Scope 1 is classified as direct emissions
from owned or controlled sources (i.e. mobile combustion, stationary combustion, process emissions). Scope 2 emissions are classified as
indirect emissions (i.e. purchased energy). Scope 3 emissions are all remaining indirect emissions not included in Scope 2 (i.e. business travel,
distribution, and logistics).
As an engineering firm that uses modern, often "green" manufacturing processes at our production facilities, Scope 2 and Scope 3 emissions are the
largest contributors to ES3's carbon footprint. ES3's Scope 3 emissions are primarily due to business travel and shipping. ES3's Scope 2 emissions
come from purchased electricity and energy for each of our facilities located in Utah, Georgia, and California. Scope 1 GHG emissions represent the
smallest contributor to ES3's carbon footprint and come from ES3 owned and operated trucks and vehicles.
GHG emissions are commonly reported in metric tons of carbon dioxide equivalent (CO2e). CO2e is a way to quantify and combine various greenhouse
gasses, such as CO2, NH4, and N2O, into a singular unit. ES3's GHG emissions are broken down by scope and displayed below.
The largest contributors to ES3's GHG emissions are from business travel, shipping, and purchased electricity for each of our facilities. Steps are
being taken to help reduce emissions from each scope.
For 2018, ES3 purchased 400 high efficiency lighting fixtures to install at our 200,000-square foot Material Research & Development Center in Utah.
By replacing old lightbulbs and fixtures with new high efficiency bulbs, ES3 hopes to reduce Scope 2 emissions significantly. Additional potential emission-reducing
solutions for each scope are as follows:
Reduction Goals for Scope 1 Emissions:
- Purchase more fuel efficient or hybrid vehicles
Reduction Goals for Scope 2 Emissions:
- Installation of high efficiency lighting fixtures in all facilities
- Replace old windows with energy efficient windows
- Install high efficiency water heaters
- Expand usage of timers/motion detectors for lighting
Scope 3 reduction solutions:
- Replace business travel with video conferencing if possible.
- Purchase bulk office supplies from products made of recycled materials
- Implement more aggressive paper recycling at our manufacturing and shipping locations
- Expand the work we do with companies that have with 'green' initiatives